ELLEN E. THOMPSON SCHOLARSHIP
Scholarships To Be Awarded:
Two scholarships each year, in the amount of $3,000.00 each, will be awarded on the following basis:
- The student must apply for the scholarship in writing.
- The student must have been in full-time attendance within Golden Hills School Division No. 75 for a period of at least one school year.
- The student must be recommended by a teacher or principal familiar with the student.
- The student must be planning on attending a post-secondary institution following completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and, prior to funding, must provide evidence of enrollment in that post-secondary institution.
- The primary criteria shall be financial need. This need will be determined by criteria established by the Alberta Government Student Finance Board, which shall include:
- Data from the two previous years= Income Tax Returns;
- The number of dependent children;
- The number of children already in post-secondary education; and
- Any other information which the administrative committee deems fair and relevant.
All of this information shall remain strictly confidential, shall be used solely for the awarding of scholarships and, upon the awarding of scholarships, shall be returned to the applicant or his/her parents.
Procedure for Application and Awarding of Scholarships:
- Scholarships will only be awarded to those who have graduated from a Golden Hills High School. However, the student does not necessarily have had to attend in the year immediately prior to applying. Students are eligible to apply even if they have taken time off from schooling to work.
- Students must attend a recognized post-secondary institution to qualify for any of the scholarships.
- Each scholarship will be disbursed in two payments:
- One-half after proof of registration for the first semester;
- One-half after proof of registration for the second semester
- If the school is not operating on a semester system, the funds will be disbursed at the beginning and one-half way through the school year.
- All applications must be submitted to the school principal and the Associate Superintendent of Schools (HR), on or before June 1st.
- Students will be notified by June 30th if they have been awarded a scholarship.
The Selection Committee, chosen by the Board of Trustees, shall consist of:
- One trustee from the rural divisions;
- One trustee from the urban divisions; and
- The Superintendent of Schools, or designate