Adaptive Physical Education: Adaptive Physical Education works to develop basic fine and gross motor skills building both individual and group cooperation skills. Adaptive physical education works on increasing confidence both physically and emotionally, building self-esteem, creativity, awareness of athletic abilities and encouraging leadership skills within the class.
Adaptive Physical Education supports:
- Relationship and communication skills, gaining abilities to work as a team to complete a task.
- Building muscular strength and tone, giving individuals the ability to be more active in their daily lives.
- Studies have shown higher cognitive functioning of individuals after exercising.
- Security of working with the same people with a similar structure to each class so participants are aware of types of activities they will be participating in.
- Working on individual strengths and group recognition when goals are reached.
- Stressing the importance of stretching and breathing along with the strength and cardio program for a well rounded program.
- Building both gross and fine motor skills
Such a program enhances all of the above and builds self esteem in a fun and supportive environment.